Sunday, January 25, 2015

Hosting a Dinner Party? 15 Tips You Should Consider


Just the thought of hosting a dinner party can turn some people into a quivering mess, and many would not even consider it, but hosting a dinner party doesn’t have to be difficult. The trick is to plan ahead, have as much as you can done well in advance and to keep it as simple as possible.  Here are my simple and easy tips to remember when planning a dinner party.



QUICK TIPS:


1. Don't over plan. You'll drive yourself crazy, and the food might not turn out exactly how you had in mind anyway.


2. Who should you invite? If it’s your first dinner party then why not experiment with friends that you know will be forgiving enough if things do go wrong. You don’t want this to be a stressful event and good friends will laugh along with you when mistakes are made. Consider the social dynamics and only invite guests who you know will interact well with each other. You don’t want a guest who dominates the conversation nor do you want a group of people who are all shy. Choose a mix that will blend well together.


3. How many should you invite? How many times have you been out to dinner and there have been so many people at the table that you didn’t get a chance to speak to everyone? Limit your dinner parties to 6 to 8 people and at most never invite more than 12. This will allow both you and your guests to enjoy all the conversations taking place around the table. The more people you invite the more expensive it will be and the harder you will have to work to ensure everything goes well.


4. Setting the Table. Ensure the table is big enough to accommodate everyone. You don’t want your guests sitting squashed together like sardines. Set the table as early as possible and be creative. A white tablecloth and a simple flower arrangement with some candles creates an elegant look, but you can also decorate with fruit and vegetables, a wreath made from herbs, pine cones or something as unique as a fish in a bowl. There is also a lot of inexpensive way to generate some color and design - try paper products, napkins, plates etc...


5. Start with something simple. If you try a difficult dish, you might get discouraged and not want to cook again. (I can't tell you how many times I've been inspired to try something new or a new process and it never works out...lol.)  Stick with what you know works.


6. Make sure you have all the ingredients you need on hand. You don't want to be in the middle of a recipe and find yourself short of something. The last thing I want to do is ask my husband to run to the store for a last minute item...that's like asking for WWIII.



7. Choose your wardrobe. What you wear is just as important as the meal itself. Pick something you can relax in and not feel restricted. Go bare foot…guest love it when they can take their shoes off and relax with you. I have a basket of cozy plush socks that I pull out for everyone to choose from.


8. Play music while you cook. It'll help you relax. I like using Pandora - so many channels to choose from - I love listening to Adele or the oldies. I also use my Tablet and catch up on my Netflix shows...right now I'm working through Hawthorne w/Jada Pinket Smith.


9. Clean up as you go -- or better yet, start with a clean kitchen. I hate to cook in a dirty kitchen - drives me insane. The more you clean as you go the less you will have to do afterward.


10. Get a cute apron. My sister Gina always cooks with a cute and sexy apron on. Even when she is assisting in the kitchen at someone else's home she'll bring her own apron and a few extras to share with the other cooks. Sometimes cooking can be a chore so you have to do something to make yourself feel like cooking. I just bought a cute Pink and Green apron with Pearls...yes with pearls...lol.

11. Enlist a friend or sibling to pitch in. Cooking is much more fun when you have someone to hang out with while you work. My sister Joi and I cook very well together we usually have a system before we start cooking - she cooks and I prep or vice-versa. 


12. Don't keep the meal a surprise. A lot of people have food allergies and you definitely want to know this ahead of time. The last thing you want to do is serve an all meat menu to a vegetarian or seafood to someone who has allergies. Not only that but who wants to spend unnecessary money!


13. Open up a bottle. I love cooking with a glass of wine or a margarita nearby. It gets me relaxed and helps me to loosen up without the stress of watching the clock before guests arrive.


14. Leave the dishes until the next day. One thing I hate is for a host to start clearing and washing dishes while the dinner party is still going on in another room. This usually means the ladies will assist with the clearing while the men adjourn to another room...NO. Enjoy ALL your guests and stay connected and in the party.


15. Have fun! Enough said.

Just My Minor Details,
Terrina