Thursday, October 4, 2012

HOW TO MAKE CONVERSATIONS AT PARTIES

Repost from October 2012:

I saw this as I was reading Oprah Magazine "101 Best Pieces of Advice" article and had to share with all of you.

I always need something in my hand when I arrive to a party-it's something to do in-between the down moments when your not engaged in a conversation. I mean who wants to just stand there. Enjoy this is a really good tip.

1. Get a drink. If it's a cocktail, it'll loosen you up, but even if it's just a club soda, it's good to have a prop to hold if you're feeling nervous.

2. Next approach someone-a person, not a group-and ask how he or she knows the host. After that be authentic and interested and ask questions, and others will float over and join in.

3. A good host will have considered the mix of people, so when you arrive, ask, "Who should I meet?"

4. Most important: Even if you won't know anyone and you're feeling intimidated, you must go. Do not stay home. So many people are afraid that no one will talk to them and they'll leave feeling awful-has that ever happened to you? Me, neither. Usually I end up laughing and eating and drinking and making friends, and that's what it's all about.

Excerpt from O's 101 Best Pieces of Advice - October 2012 Issue Oprah Magazine
Marjorie Gubelmann,
CEO of Vie Luxe and society hostess extraordinaire